Thursday, August 7, 2014

Littleton Pea Patch: Part I

The Littleton Pea Patch Community Garden is right next to the Colorado Center for the Blind, where Taryn had her YMCA volleyball games for a year. I was constantly telling myself as I walked by that I needed to come back with my camera some time and take pictures there. Yesterday, I finally did.

Littleton Pea Patch
The striking visuals leapt out before I even got into the garden, with pollen-bespeckled petals growing through the garden fence.

Littleton Pea Patch
Sunflowers were in abundance, as were pollinators like the bee coming in for a landing.

Littleton Pea Patch
A patch of colorful daisies, bursting with variety.

Littleton Pea Patch
Bumblebees weren't as plentiful as honeybees, but their size and fuzziness make them fun to shoot.  I'd spot one and then follow it to see where it landed.

Littleton Pea Patch
I loved getting some of the underside of these petals, the soft light coming through them and the even softer focus of the surrounding vegetation that draws your eye to the subject.

Littleton Pea Patch
Daisy in profile.  Really, you could have done entire photo studies of any single flower in this place.

Littleton Pea Patch
But why focus on a single flower when you can get a whole sea of them in a shot?

Littleton Pea Patch
Sunflowers and bees were by no means hard to find.  And this bee looks like it had found itself a LOT of sunflowers, judging from all the pollen in which it was covered.

Littleton Pea Patch
The bee flew off, and I realized the sunflower by itself still made for a pretty shot.

Littleton Pea Patch
I love how this bee's eyes stand out so much.  Sure, bees and flowers can get repetitive.  But here, I saw a little something different in every scene.

Click here for Part II.

No comments: