Thursday, July 24, 2014

Dromoland Castle: Part II

Click here for Part I.

In late June, the sun rises in Ireland around 5 a.m.  Fortunately, thanks to a seven-hour time difference I was wide awake to see our first one since landing. 

Sunrise over Dromoland Lough
A wonderful iPhone app called The Photographer's Ephemeris shows the position of the setting and rising sun and moon relative to your location.  So I knew exactly where on the shore of Dromoland Lough to set up.  And I got there early enough for some nice predawn color and reflections on the water.

Sunrise over Dromoland Lough
Mist is a sight I'm not terribly accustomed to any more after living in the dry climate of Colorado for 17 years.  But I enjoyed the extra element it added to the scene.

Sunrise over Dromoland Lough
When there are low clouds on the horizon at dawn I always try to be patient for the "second sunrise" that occurs when the sun rises above them.  I'm generally glad for investing the extra time, and this morning was no exception.

Dromoland Castle
A walk around the lake presented a nice view back to the castle, complete with lingering mist over the water.

Dromoland Castle
Continuing the circuit, an old stone bridge provided a nice period-appropriate foreground for yet another look at the castle.  If it weren't for the various antennae on top, the scene likely looked much the same 150 years ago.

The low sun and interesting cloudscape yielded another enjoyable view.

Hermit's Grotto at Dromoland Castle
Walking the estate grounds, you can find a small cave known as the Hermit's Grotto.  It has a fascinating little history you can read more about here.

Hermit's Grotto at Dromoland Castle
The interior of the cave was small and spartan at best.  Zak was with me on this walk and went in to explore the hole in the back, hoping it was a tunnel.  It turned out to be just a small recess, not sure for what purpose.

Temple of Mercury at Dromoland Castle
On a small hill above the cave stands a structure called the Temple of Mercury.  I don't think any actual worship of Roman gods went on there.  And I wish I had a ladder and saw to remove the branches obscuring the top of it from this angle.  Supposedly a former owner of the property wagered the entire estate on a horse race.  His horse won, and honored it in death by burying it under the temple.

Click here for Part III.

No comments: