Saturday, September 28, 2013

Guanella Pass, Part I

Two years ago, I took the kids on a foliage drive over Guanella Pass one weekend when Danelle was out of town. It was a glorious day with gorgeous weather and the leaves just about at peak color. I took some great pictures which nobody ever saw, because when we got home I put my memory card on the kitchen counter and one of our dogs decided to grab it and chew it up.

Today, it was time to right that wrong. And we had the added bonus of Danelle and her mom along for the ride. Well, technically I was along for the ride since Danelle did the driving. The point is, we took a family drive to see the turning aspens.

And this time when we got home, I did not take the memory card out of the camera until I had my computer out and was ready to transfer the images.  So I am capable of learning from my mistakes.

Guanella Pass Road
We headed out 285 and drove the pass north from Grant.  The freezing overnight temperatures had resulted in some interesting ice formations along Geneva Creek, especially on overhanging vegetation.

Guanella Pass Road
Getting out fairly early was probably a factor in seeing these fleeting works of art.  I have to imagine that by midday the warm sun had melted them all away.

Guanella Pass Road
But since we were fortunate enough to get to see them, it only made sense to shoot them.

Guanella Pass Road
A section of waterfall was still deep enough in shadow to provide a scene without extreme differences in contrast.

Guanella Pass Road
I love the area by the Guanella Pass Campground.  Big, open vistas that always impress.

Guanella Pass Road
The dusting of snow on the nearby summits added a little something extra to the views.

Guanella Pass Road
There was really just the right amount of snow in spots -- enough to add some texture but not so much that it made the peaks a uniform white.

Guanella Pass Summit
Another artist was hard at work at the top of the pass.  I asked permission to include in some photos, and he agreed as long as I sent him some.  We swapped cards and I left Peter Heineman to his painting.

Guanella Pass Summit
No aspens up at treeline.  But that didn't mean no beauty.

Click here for Part II.

No comments: