Saturday, April 23, 2011

Elk in Estes Park

An unexpected bonus from my snowshoe trip to Mills Lake was seeing two separate elk herds as I was leaving, one by Moraine Park and one just outside the park entrance by the Beaver Meadows Visitor Center.

Magpie hitching a ride.

Was I bitter that I saw more elk today than I did when Taryn and I came up last September during the rut? Maybe a little...

The elk all seemed aware of the presence of gawking humans like me, but not overly concerned about it.

Winter does seem to be rough on the coat.

Lots of wisdom behind those eyes. Not.

The antlers with no additional points made the males look a bit like big goats.

This cow held her pose for me for quite a while. If I didn't get at least one decent shot out of it, it would have been a shame.

No comments: