Sunday, May 25, 2008

Who Writes This Kid's Material?

I'm planning to take the kids on a short hike tomorrow morning so Danelle can sleep in. I've been taking Zak for a couple of years and Taryn's been bugging me to come along sometime. So even though she's younger now (4 1/2 -- she's very insistent on including the "half" part) than Zak was when I first took him (5), I'm going to give her a shot tomorrow. Nowhere too strenuous -- probably something like Bear Creek Lake, Deer Creek Canyon or Roxborough.

One of the first places I took Zak was Matthews/Winters Park in Morrison. It's where Red Rocks Amphitheatre is. You get some really spectacular views to the east once you get high enough to see over the hogback.

It was a Sunday afternoon, and I must have been feeling especially spiritual. As I looked out over the vista I said, "Do you see all this, Zak? God made all this!"

There was a pause, and then a little voice behind me muttered, "He sure made it hard to climb."

I've left most of the religious commentary to his Sunday School teachers since then.

No comments: