Monday, March 15, 2021

Texas Tulips, March 2021

February's bout of snow and extreme cold is well and truly in our rearview mirror.  Spring has arrived in North Texas, and from my experience it tends to only last about a month.  So it was time to get out and get some spring photos.

Tulips are among the first bloomers here, and there's a place that grows them in Pilot Point that I meant to visit last year.  Then COVID hit, and I didn't go anywhere for a while.  A year later COVID is still with us, but I don't feel uncomfortable being outside.  So I waited until late in the day to get some shadows and warm golden hour light, and headed up to Texas Tulips.

Texas Tulips
They certainly have quite a variety.  I'm not even entirely sure this is a tulip, but it's still striking.

Texas Tulips
Yes, that's what I was there to take.  I've always spelled it differently, though.

Texas Tulips
The place was crowded with couples and families, even late on a Sunday.  Still, I had no problem finding subjects with clean backgrounds.

Texas Tulips
The low sun gave me plenty of opportunities to work with backlight, too.

Texas Tulips
I really like the rim lighting where the stem meets the petals on this one.

Texas Tulips
I found myself drawn to the more vibrant colors... 

Texas Tulips
...and to the denser concentrations of blooms.

Texas Tulips
All too soon the sun was dipping below the horizon, but by then I'd gotten what I came for -- a taste of spring!

No comments: