Friday, February 28, 2020

Ouzel Falls Trail, December 2019

I always like to try to get in at least one long hike on my trips to Colorado. I'd never done the Ouzel Falls Trail in Rocky Mountain National Park, so that seemed like a solid choice.

Ouzel Falls Trail
The trail is a mile longer in the winter due to the road being closed at a lower parking lot.  Just more time to spend outside on a beautiful Colorado December afternoon!

Ouzel Falls Trail
While the trail had quite a bit of snow, it was packed down enough that I didn't need to use snowshoes.  Microspikes on my hiking boots were sufficient.

Calypso Cascades
Calypso Cascades comes up before Ouzel Falls.  Even covered in snow, I find waterfalls to still be compelling natural features.

North St. Vrain Creek
Small sections of North St. Vrain Creek were clear of snow, and eye-catching.

Ouzel Falls
Ouzel Falls itself was buried deep in heavy snow, but still beautiful.

Ouzel Falls Trail
I'd hoped to see ice on the actual falls, but these icicles hanging above the trail were a nice consolation prize.

Ouzel Falls Trail
I had planned to turn around once reaching the falls, but there appeared to be an overlook a little farther ahead.  So I pressed on.

Ouzel Falls Trail
My instincts were sound.  The overlook was not far up the trail, and offered a gorgeous view down the valley.

Ouzel Falls Trail
Also striking in portrait orientation, for what it's worth.

Ouzel Falls Trail
The overlook became my new turnaround point, with my path back splendidly lit by the afternoon sun.

Ouzel Falls Trail
One thing I love about winter is how even near midday, the shadows are still long because the sun is so low in the sky.

Calypso Cascades
Calypso Cascades had a different vibe with the sun enjoying a different position in the sky.

Ouzel Falls Trail
The repeated process of freezing and melting leads to interesting structures.

Ouzel Falls Trail
I'm not exactly sure what makes llamas a privileged class, but there you are.

Ouzel Falls Trail
A moose crossed the trail in front of me early in the hike, but I wasn't able to get a decent shot of it.  This was the only other notable "wildlife" I saw the entire day.

Roughly seven miles roundtrip in about four hours, with outstanding weather the entire time.  And I worked up a hearty appetite for some wings and an Old Chub at Oskar Blues in Lyons on my way home.  All in all, a pretty perfect day!

No comments: