Monday, January 22, 2018

Standley Lake, January 2018

Some big news on my winter break trip to Colorado was the rare sighting of a Snowy Owl. This has apparently been an irruption year, which has sent the birds much farther south than they're normally seen. There were some differences of opinion as to whether it was appropriate to share the owl's location out of concern for it being spooked by a swarm of birdwatchers and photographers. I could see both sides of the issue, and briefly considered not seeking it out myself. Then I thought, "Holy cow! A Snowy Owl!"

Following some quick online research, I was off to Standley Lake to try and find the infrequent visitor.

Prairie Dog, Standley Lake
There are two things I have come to believe very strongly about nature photography.  The first is that you need to do your homework and have a specific goal in mind when you're in the field.  The second is that you need to be prepared to abandon your goal and shoot what you're fortunate enough to see.  On the second point, I bring you this barking prairie dog.

Ice Formation, Standley Lake
Temperatures the previous couple of days had been absolutely frigid.  So much so that even on this warm, sunny morning there were interesting ice formations along the shoreline.

American Kestrel, Standley Lake
The first bird of prey I manage to capture with my lens was not, in fact, the snowy.  It was, however, my favorite raptor -- an American Kestrel.  Despite being well below and at a poor angle to its wire perch, I'm not completely unhappy with the shot.

Dead Plant, Standley Lake
I love these shore plants that look like alien life forms.  I think I've identified them on multiple occasions in the past, and I never remember what they are.  And this time, my internet research skills failed me.  But it still looks cool.

Prairie Dog, Standley Lake
More prairie dog, this time ready to bolt back down its hole in some flattering sidelight.

Red-tailed Hawk, Standley Lake
I'm disappointed I didn't get better focus on this Red-tailed Hawk who was posing SO nicely.  If you're keeping score, that's two raptors that aren't Snowy Owls.

European Starling, Standley Lake
Catch a European Starling in the right light, and their plumage is just stunning.

Floral Tribute, Standley Lake
I actually made two separate trips to the lake in the same day -- one in the morning and another that afternoon.  Someone had left a beautiful floral memorial on a trail bench, complete with a pair of reading glasses.  Whoever did it wasn't messing around -- the bouquet had been zip-tied to the bench.  Definitely a scene that seems like it has a fascinating story behind it.

Prairie Dog, Standley Lake
Speaking of fascinating stories, I want this image to serve as the inspiration for the tale of a tough, loner prairie dog struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.  So if you see this and write one, please share it with me!

I spent four hours in total walking around the lake, covering a solid eight miles.  But alas, no owl.  In fact, I didn't run into anyone else that day who'd seen it.  The word online was that it may have moved on, as it wasn't sighted again before I returned to Texas.  Since I left, however, it seems like at least one other if not more have come to town.  So while I'm not going to get my Snowy Owl shot this season, hopefully plenty of other folks will without causing these beautiful creatures any undue stress!

No comments: