Thursday, July 6, 2017

Mount Elbert, Part I

Back in Colorado for our annual summer visit, which for the second year in a row also included a 14er. This year the choice was Mount Elbert, the tallest peak in the North American Rockies at 14,439 feet.  I wondered if this would be the year that living practically at sea level would finally catch up with me and I wouldn't be able to summit.  Time would tell...

Mount Elbert
I left at about 4:30 in the morning to make the two-hour, 15-minute drive to the trailhead for the peak's north route, where I connected with a small group that included my former co-worker and frequent climbing partner Alicia Miller.  We were off before 7 a.m. and breezed through the fairly moderate section below treeline.  Emerging from the forest, the first false summit came clearly in view.

Mount Elbert
The weather was perfect, and the view of neighboring Mount Massive to the west was our constant companion.

Mount Elbert
I was really glad I'd read about the false summits along this trail, although by now I pretty much expect every climb to have them.  Kind of reminds me of that line from The Lost Boys: "One thing I never could stomach about Santa Carla -- all the damn vampires."  Except replace Santa Carla with Colorado, and vampires with false summits.

Mount Elbert
The final ascent to the first false summit was the most challenging part of the entire hike -- steep, rocky, and fairly exposed near the end.   But folks on their way back down were very encouraging, telling us that the trail got easier.  As the second false summit came into view, it was clear to see they were right.  A much gentler ascent with fairly solid footing and no exposure to speak of.

Mount Elbert
The views only got better as I got higher, like this look at Twin Lakes to the east ...

Mount Elbert
... and this vista to the southwest.

Mount Elbert
I forgot to mention that those view weren't even from the summit!  There was one final push to still be made, though it was admittedly short and not very steep.

Mount Elbert
I reached the top after a little more than five hours on the trail.  The altitude did affect me -- I had a hard time catching my breath once I passed treeline.  But my energy level, hydration, and muscle fatigue were all fine.  I was the third out of our six-person group to summit, which made me feel pretty good about my fitness level.

Mount Elbert
I know I keep harping about the views, but they really were tremendous.  Gorgeous sights in every direction, with the perfect amount of fluffy clouds in the sky.

Related Links:

No comments: