Saturday, February 18, 2017

Colleyville Nature Center: February 2017

A three-day weekend meant time to get out and shoot. And with the forecast calling for rain Sunday and Monday that time was today. Sunny skies and temperatures in the 70s made for gorgeous conditions as I headed to the Colleyville Nature Center.

Sparrow, Colleyville Nature Center
The woods here are always full of songbirds.  Getting a clear shot of one like this White-throated Sparrow is usually another story.  Fortunately, I had just enough time before this one flew off to get the shot.

Barred Owl, Colleyville Nature Center
I was hoping one of the resident Barred Owls would be on its nest, and was pleased to find that was indeed the case.

Barred Owl, Colleyville Nature Center
The unseasonable heat seemed to be bothering her a bit -- she was fluttering her neck muscles some.  But here she looks pretty comfortable and alert.

Barred Owl, Colleyville Nature Center
And now I'm pretty sure she's just laughing at me, standing there watching her for as long as I did.  When the owl laughs at you, it's time to move on.

American Wigeon, Colleyville Nature Center
I normally have a terrible time getting solid duck shots, but this American Wigeon gave me something decent.

Mallard, Colleyville Nature Center
I think this sleeping Mallard may not have realized I was there until I was pretty close, at which point he decided to just play possum.  He's clearly got an eye on me.  After I took a few shots and moved on, he came to full attention but still didn't take off.

Great Blue Heron and Great Egret, Colleyville Nature Center
I enjoyed seeing this Great Blue Heron and Great Egret seemingly hanging out together along the shore.

Red-Eared Sliders, Colleyville Nature Center
Turtles also tend to scurry off as I approach.  And sure enough after I got this shot and took another step closer the Red-Eared Slider closest to the water turned and swam off.  The one on shore wasn't far behind.

Northern Cardinal, Colleyville Nature Center
On my way back to my car I got an unexpected close encounter with a male Northern Cardinal.  I wish I'd gotten him a touch sharper, but it was still a nice way to cap off my outing!

No comments: