Monday, January 16, 2017

Village Creek Drying Beds: January 2017

I had my eye on going out to shoot today all through our cold, damp, gray weekend. The forecast had been calling for sunny skies and temperatures in the 60s. Then when things got really wet Sunday night, I thought we might have some interesting foggy conditions early on. So I got up a little earlier than I'd originally planned and headed over to the Village Creek Drying Beds in Arlington, site of successful photo outings each of the past two winters.

Village Creek Drying Beds
I certainly had the fog I thought I might, which gave the marshy area a slightly spooky vibe.

Village Creek Drying Beds
When I first crested the berm overlooking this pond, the water was full of ducks.  Then the ducks all flew away, because DUCKS HATE ME.  So I shot the pond anyway without them.  That'll show 'em.

Village Creek Drying Beds
Village Creek Drying Beds
This little island totally isolated by the mist was exactly the type of moody, ethereal scene I was hoping for.  I can't decide whether I like it better in monochrome or color, even with the very blue cast and muted shades.  Opinions welcome in the comments!

Village Creek Drying Beds
I tried to get a little artsy with these stalks and their reflections.  Not quite as edgy as I'd hoped.

Village Creek Drying Beds
I was impressed by how vivid the reflections were with so little light.

Sparrow, Village Creek Drying Beds
Wildlife opportunities were not abundant.  But if you look hard enough, you can usually find an accommodating sparrow.

I enjoyed the chance to try something a little different, though it would have been nice to spot a bobcat like I had on my first two visits.  When I get out more frequently like I have been lately, I don't feel as much pressure to see everything all at once, though.  That's a good feeling!

No comments: