Monday, January 25, 2016

Centennial Park Egrets, Gulls, and Geese

The ducks at Irving's Centennial Park were terrific. I was pleasantly surprised to also see a couple of egrets along with quite a few ring-billed gulls and some domestic geese.

Snowy Egret, Centennial Park
The resident Snowy Egret let me get closer than I expected.  Perhaps he was still trying to throw off the morning chill?

Snowy Egret, Centennial Park
Seriously, I've never had a snowy let me get as close as this one did.  It was mid-morning and he didn't seem to be hunting yet, though he did start patrolling the shoreline later once the clouds had broken up a bit.

Ring-billed Gull, Centennial Park
The Ring-billed Gulls, not surprisingly, were quite tame.  They seemed more perturbed when I passed them on the pedestrian bridge than seriously concerned.  I always assume a raised leg is a sign of being fairly relaxed.  At least, that's the only time I stand that way.

Great Egret, Centennial Park
Like the snowy egret, the Great Egret population also seemed to equal one.  And also like the snowy, he didn't seem to mind people getting too close.  I did crouch behind a tree for this shot as as not to disturb him too much.

Great Egret, Centennial Park
In mid-preen he seems to be taking a bow.

Ring-billed Gull, Centennial Park
The gulls were the most dynamic species around.  This one landed in search of a meal.

Ring-billed Gull, Centennial Park
He found something satisfactory, grabbed it, and was off.

Domestic Goose
The best thing about any wildlife that's fairly habituated to people is that you can get some tremendous close-ups, like this domestic goose who thought I was giving out food.

Ring-billed Gull, Centennial Park
A young family came by to throw bread (I know, I know), which of course attracted quite a crowd.  I took the opportunity to get some flight shots of the gulls.  This approach is not quite as intimidating as a raptor would be.

Ring-billed Gull, Centennial Park
A bird I still associate with the ocean flying past thick trees seems a little incongruous to me.

Ring-billed Gull, Centennial Park
This one I really like, other than it looking like the bird only has one leg.

The longer I live in the Dallas area, the more little gems in suburban and even urban settings like Centennial Park I find.  And that's a very good thing!

No comments: