Thursday, November 12, 2015

Lake Mineral Wells: Part II

Click here for Part I.

Last Saturday at Lake Mineral Wells State Park was the opportunity to shoot foliage I thought I wouldn't get here in Texas.  Penitentiary Hollow was beautiful, but my day didn't end there!

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
Many trees were covered in lichen.  I thought this trunk that also had a vine wrapped around its trunk and some fungus growing out of its bark was especially interesting.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
I wondered what might live in this small hole surrounded by moss in a large rock.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
Speaking of moss-covered rocks, these large boulders stood out amidst the leaf litter on the ground.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
Coming in close allowed me to focus some extra attention on this small plant that had turned red.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
The moist air around the lake had a huge impact on the scenery.  We just didn't get moss like this in Colorado.

Penitentiary Hollow Overlook, Lake Mineral Wells State Park
The sun broke through around 10:00, and I returned to the Penitentiary Hollow Overlook for another take on the view.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
Two straight weekends of heavy rains had returned the lake to a high-water stage.  It lapped right up to a trail on the northeast side.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park
A concrete viewing blind had no birds in sight.  But it did offer a peaceful view of a sky full of puffy clouds and a tree-filled shoreline.

Just the outing I was looking for -- about four hours of striking scenery, with the added bonus of cool temperatures!

No comments: