Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Sterne Park, October 2014 Redux

I thought I'd gotten wood ducks out of my system with my trip to Sterne Park last week. But every day since my visit I've seen more wonderful shots of them on the Front Range Wildlife Photographers Facebook group. Knowing that fall colors wouldn't be reflecting off the water for much longer, I decided to head over one more time.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
There were already three other photographers when I arrived, and two more showed up while I was there including birder extraordinaire and all-around swell guy Peter Pereira.  We all had a great time watching the assembled fowl compete for crab apples.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
There's one tree remaining on shore with red leaves.  When a duck swam through its reflection, it was a real treat.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
I learned to tell when a male was about to rear up and flap its wings.  The saying that you make your own luck is definitely true.  There's no substitute for preparation.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
This guy appears to be admiring his own reflection.  Can't say that I blame him.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
For little guys, they sure can create quite a commotion on the water.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
Look, ma!  No hands!  Literally.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
A small flock of Canada Geese eventually crashed the party.  But at least they made a dramatic entrance.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
Seriously, I'm completely on top of the wing-flapping thing now.  I love how barrel-chested they appear when they do this.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
The girls weren't putting on as much of a show today.  I did get one nice portrait pose on a rock, though.

Wood Ducks at Sterne Park
In chatting with Peter he mentioned that he'd seen Great Horned Owls over at South Platte Park, which is where I'd planned to go next anyway.  We headed over together and sure enough he spotted this one in the Northern Wildlife Area.  We respected his privacy and stayed a good distance away so as not to disturb him.  He didn't really seem all that bothered by us, in any event.

Now am I done shooting wood ducks for the season?  I suppose only time will tell. :)

No comments: