Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Cottonwood Pass to Crested Butte

Headed out to Crested Butte today hoping for a few days of wildflower hikes. Drove over Cottonwood Pass to get here for the first time, and was very glad I did!

Cottonwood Pass
The entire route was gorgeous.  And dramatic at the summit with a summer storm coming in.  I couldn't keep the raindrops off my lens fast enough!

Cottonwood Pass
Once I got down to Taylor Reservoir, the storm looked just as striking from a distance.

Mt. Crested Butte Wildflowers
Crested Butte is known as the Wildflower Capital of Colorado, and with good reason.

Mt. Crested Butte
The namesake peak looks quite dashing decked out in vibrant greens.

Crested Butte Sunset
Sunset seemed like it was going to be a dud ... until it wasn't.  I was fortunately able to grab my camera, tripod and graduated neutral density filter before the sky lost its color.  Blooming penstemons seemed like an appropriate foreground.

Can't wait to see what the next few days bring!

No comments: