Saturday, March 8, 2014

Chatfield State Park: March 2014, Part I

Had plans to go up to Rocky Mountain National Park today with Taryn, but a snowstorm last night had me re-evaluating. Between concerns about the driving conditions and the belief that things right here in the area would be pretty beautiful, I chose to sleep the extra hour and just go over to Chatfield State Park instead.

In case I haven't said it enough, let me reiterate how ridiculously satisfying it is to have so many amazing Plan Bs right in my backyard.  Or in today's case, right across the street. :)

Chatfield State Park
I like shooting before dawn in the winter, because the blue cast you get from that light works well with the scenery to really reinforce the feeling of cold.

Chatfield State Park
Sunrise wasn't all that spectacular.  The lingering clouds were still a little thick and a little low.  But it was fun to watch the Canada Geese take turns in small groups to swim out onto the reservoir. 

Chatfield State Park
Once the sun did break through, the combination of its golden rays, fresh snow and tree branches gave me some of the visuals I was hoping for.

Chatfield State Park
The clouds were breaking up and burning off quickly, adding a nice touch of blue to the views and the reflections in the South Platte River.

Chatfield State Park
The two Canada Geese in the previous shot?  They swam under the bridge I was standing on and continued up the river.  So I crossed over and shot the scene on the other side.

Chatfield State Park
I had absolutely gotten the conditions I was hoping for -- enough fresh snow to coat the scenery but not so much that the landscape was rendered featureless.  And nice light from sunny skies, but enough clouds to add some interest to both the sky and the reflection on the water.

Chatfield State Park
I didn't even realize until I was looking at the shots on my computer that the sun was putting out some pretty sweet "God rays" as it rose above the clouds.  Bonus. :)

Chatfield State Park
I often find myself drawn to lone trees.  Add fresh snow and warm light, and I'll walk across a snow-covered field to get a shot of it.

Chatfield State Park
I lugged around my D90 with its zoom lens all morning, but didn't get any wildlife opportunities other than this accommodating Canada Goose.  Hey, something doesn't have to be rare to be beautiful.

Click here for Part II.

No comments: