Saturday, November 9, 2013

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep, Part II

Click here for Part I.

I've never had an opportunity quite like last Sunday. Spending that much time that close to a group of wild animals, free to take pretty much any picture I wanted to. When I first stumbled on the herd I had a strong sense of urgency, thinking that they would move on soon. That's been my typical experience with wildlife. I've missed far more shots than I've gotten due to animals moving before I could get ready.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
These sheep, however, were in no hurry at all.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
Only saw the one female with a tag in the whole group.   But there was no doubt that the whole herd had plenty of exposure to people.  Bikers, small children -- nothing fazed them.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
The guy standing up would just not leave the guy lying down alone.  But it wasn't all that clear what exactly he wanted.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
Danelle called this a Stepford Wives shot.  Pretty good call, actually.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
Standing Guy got more and more insistent, but never aggressive.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
Snap a picture at the right time -- like when Standing Guy has his eyes closed -- and the moment can look tender.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
What he actually wanted, apparently, was simply to lie down.  He just wanted to do it exactly where the first guy already was.  Bighorn sheep, it seems, are as bad as my children.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
My bike proved to be a source of some interest to the herd when they crossed the dirt road to continue their grazing.  Fortunately they just licked the tires and didn't actually try and bite them.

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
"Wait, did it just move?  I think it just moved!  RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!"

Waterton Canyon Bighorn Sheep
"Are you my mother?"

Nope, I've never had another opportunity quite like last Sunday.  At least, I hadn't until last Sunday.  And now that I know they're possible, I'm very much looking forward to the next one. :)

No comments: