Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Emerald Lake (Part II)

Click here for Part I.

Emerald Lake was a welcome sight. But with the sun not yet fully risen and a stiff breeze at the higher elevation, it was a bit chilly.

Some other folks had found a good way to celebrate reaching the end of the trail -- sliding down one of the snowy slopes around the shore.

This clearly wasn't the first windy day. This dead wood had been intricately carved over time.

Pictures of scenery never seem to do justice to the actual view. These are no exception.

One lone tree at the eastern edge of the lake seemed to take pride in defying the odds and growing where nothing else did.

Have I mentioned before how visually interesting I find dead wood?

I believe this is Thatchtop Summit to the southeast.

The sky grew increasingly streaked with jet trails as the morning wore on.

That unspoiled patch of snow where I broke some trail on the way out? Subsequent hikers had apparently liked my thinking.

And remember deserted Nymph Lake? Not so much by the time I got back to it.

I meandered around for about two and a half hours, covering roughly four miles round-trip and gaining about 1,200 feet of elevation on the way in. I can't WAIT to go back with as many of my family members as will come!

No comments: